University Policies

  • Midterm grade
  • Excused absences
    • Students need to notify the professor of absences prior to class when possible. Senate Rules defines the following as acceptable reasons for excused absences: (a) serious illness, (b) illness or death of family member, (c) University-related trips, (d) major religious holidays, (e) interviews for full-time job opportunities post-graduation and interviews for graduate or professional school, and (f) other circumstances found to fit “reasonable cause for nonattendance” by the professor.
  • Make-up work or exams due to excused absences
    • Per Senate Rule, students missing any graded work due to an excused absence are responsible: for informing the Instructor of Record about their excused absence within one week following the period of the excused absence (except where prior notification is required); and for making up the missed work. The professor must give the student an opportunity to make up the work and/or the exams missed due to an excused absence, and shall do so, if feasible, during the semester in which the absence occurred.
  • Excused absences (20% rule)
    • Students are expected to withdraw from the class if more than 20% of the classes scheduled for the semester are missed (excused) per University policy.
  • Verification of absences
    • Students may be asked to verify their absences in order for them to be considered excused. Senate Rule states that faculty have the right to request “appropriate verification” when students claim an excused absence because of illness, or death in the family. Appropriate notification of absences due to University-related trips is required prior to the absence when feasible and in no case more than one week after the absence.
  • Religious holiday absences
    • Students anticipating an absence for a major religious holiday are responsible for notifying the instructor in writing of anticipated absences due to their observance of such holidays no later than the last day in the semester to add a class. Two weeks prior to the absence is reasonable, but should not be given any later. Information regarding major religious holidays may be obtained through the Ombud (859-257-3737,
  • Accommodations due to disability
    • If you have a documented disability that requires academic accommodations, please see me as soon as possible during scheduled office hours. In order to receive accommodations in this course, you must provide me with a Letter of Accommodation from the Disability Resource Center (DRC). The DRC coordinates campus disability services available to students with disabilities. It is located on the corner of Rose Street and Huguelet Drive in the Multidisciplinary Science Building, Suite 407. You can reach them via phone at (859) 257-2754 and via email at Their web address is
  • Academic integrity
    • Per University policy, students shall not plagiarize, cheat, or falsify or misuse academic records. Students are expected to adhere to University policy on cheating and plagiarism in all courses. The minimum penalty for a first offense is a zero on the assignment on which the offense occurred. If the offense is considered severe or the student has other academic offenses on their record, more serious penalties, up to suspension from the University may be imposed.Plagiarism and cheating are serious breaches of academic conduct. Each student is advised to become familiar with the various forms of academic dishonesty as explained in the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities. Complete information can be found at the following website: A plea of ignorance is not acceptable as a defense against the charge of academic dishonesty. It is important that you review this information as all ideas borrowed from others need to be properly credited.Senate Rules 6.3.1 (see for the current set of Senate Rules) states that all academic work, written or otherwise, submitted by students to their instructors or other academic supervisors, is expected to be the result of their own thought, research, or self-expression. In cases where students feel unsure about a question of plagiarism involving their work, they are obliged to consult their instructors on the matter before submission.

      When students submit work purporting to be their own, but which in any way borrows ideas, organization, wording, or content from another source without appropriate acknowledgment of the fact, the students are guilty of plagiarism.

      Plagiarism includes reproducing someone else’s work (including, but not limited to a published article, a book, a website, computer code, or a paper from a friend) without clear attribution. Plagiarism also includes the practice of employing or allowing another person to alter or revise the work, which a student submits as his/her own, whoever that other person may be. Students may discuss assignments among themselves or with an instructor or tutor, but when the actual work is done, it must be done by the student, and the student alone.

      When a student’s assignment involves research in outside sources or information, the student must carefully acknowledge exactly what, where and how he/she has employed them. If the words of someone else are used, the student must put quotation marks around the passage in question and add an appropriate indication of its origin. Making simple changes while leaving the organization, content, and phraseology intact is plagiaristic. However, nothing in these Rules shall apply to those ideas, which are so generally and freely circulated as to be a part of the public domain.

      Please note:  Any assignment you turn in may be submitted to an electronic database to check for plagiarism.

  • Non-discrimination/Title IX
    • The University of Kentucky faculty are committed to supporting students and upholding the University’s non-discrimination policy. Discrimination is prohibited at UK. If you experience an incident of discrimination we encourage you to report it to Institutional Equity & Equal Opportunity (IEEO) Office, 13 Main Building, (859) 257-8927.
    • Acts of Sex- and Gender-Based Discrimination or Interpersonal Violence If you experience an incident of sex- or gender-based discrimination or interpersonal violence, we encourage you to report it. While you may talk to a faculty member or TA/RA/GA, understand that as a “Responsible Employee” of the University these individuals MUST report any acts of violence (including verbal bullying and sexual harassment) to the University’s Title IX Coordinator in the IEEO Office. If you would like to speak with someone who may be able to afford you confidentiality, the Violence Intervention and Prevention (VIP) program (Frazee Hall – Lower Level;, the Counseling Center (106 Frazee Hall,,  and the University Health Services ( are confidential resources on campus.
  • Veterans Resource Center
    • The Veterans Resource Center supports UK’s military and veteran populations with the service and assistance they deserve. The Veterans Resource Team is comprised of professionals from several departments across campus, all with the common goal of helping our veterans accomplish their academic mission. The Veterans Resource Center is located in Room 2 of Erikson Hall (Monday – Thursday 08:30-16:00) or contact them at (859) 257-1148 or More information on their website at
  • VIP Center
    • By federal law, any student who is a victim of dating violence, domestic/intimate partner violence, sexual assault, or stalking (whether on or off campus) is entitled to appropriate accommodations for his or her coursework. To get help getting accommodations and other support, students who are assaulted can do any of the following:
      1. Tell your instructor who can assist you in accessing resources appropriate to your situation;
      2. Call the UK VIP Center (Violence Intervention and Prevention Center) at 257-3574 or or; or walk in to the Center in Frazee Hall, lower level, between 8:30 and 5:00;
      3. Call the University Counseling Center at 257-8701; 2nd floor, Frazee Hall;
      4. Call UK Institutional Equity and Equal Opportunity at 257-8927; or
      5. In the case of an emergency, contact the UK Police Department at 911.
      6. Students may also contact community resources 24-hours a day, including:
        1. Bluegrass Rape Crisis Center at 800.656.4673 or
        2. Greenhouse17 (formerly Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program) at 800.544.2022 or
  • Incomplete
    • The grade I means that part of the regularly assigned work of the course remains undone. It shall be conferred only when there is a reasonable possibility that the student can complete the work within the allowable period of time for removal of an I grade and that a passing grade will result from completion of the work. Except under exceptional circumstances, the student shall initiate the request for the I grade. An I grade shall not be conferred when the student’s reason for incompleteness is unsatisfactory to the Instructor of Record. A grade of I must be replaced by a regular final letter grade not later than 12 months from the end of the academic term in which the I grade was awarded or prior to the student’s graduation, whichever occurs first.