The following courses and combinations meet the UK Core requirement for Intellectual Inquiry in the Natural, Physical and Mathematical Sciences.
- CHE 101
- CHE 103
- CHE 105 + CHE 111
- CHE 109 + CHE 110 + CHE 111
By the end of the course or course combination, students should be able to:
- Describe methods of inquiry that lead to scientific knowledge and distinguish scientific fact from pseudoscience.
- Explain fundamental principles in a branch of science.
- Apply fundamental principles to interpret and make predictions in a branch of science.
- Demonstrate an understanding of at least one scientific discovery that changed the way scientists understand the world.
- Give examples of how science interacts with society.
- Conduct a hands-on project using scientific methods to include design, data collection, analysis, summary of the results, conclusions, alternative approaches, and future studies.
- Recognize when information is needed and demonstrate the ability to find, evaluate and use effectively sources of scientific information.
More information about UK Core requirements can be found at http://www.uky.edu/registrar/content/uk-core.